Publishing 1: Print Media | Brochure



Ashila Putri Sandi [0332938]
Publishing 1: Print Media
Project 2: Brochure


INSTRUCTIONS

Project 2 (30%)

The Brief
Brochure Design (A3 tri-fold+half fold)

Duration of Assignment
4 Weeks

Deadline
Week 8

Description
You will conceptualise, design and produce a brochure that highlights/displays/promotes the culture or your home country/area/village. This could include but not limited to art, dance, architecture, performance, crafts, special holidays, clothing, rituals, jewellery, etc. The text will be your own but you can utilize written sources or live interviews. I will work with each of you to edit/proof read so that your final brochure will not contain grammatical mistakes.

You will have to display creativity in the execution of visual dynamics with text and page layout. Conceptualize an appropriate setting for the design of the brochure and take information from there to create more design details.

You will tell the story connected to the topic as a brochure A3 tri-fold + half-fold. The brochure must contain a cover, clear sequence of text: titles, text, captions, photo credits, quotations, etc. The execution of this brochure allows the student to format and arrange text that provides clear information and exciting graphics to encourage the reader to learn more about the location. The use of image and type should clearly lead the reader through the brochure.

As you progress, lectures, tutorials and discussions will support your understanding of this design area. It is important that you develop an in-depth understanding of publishing design through analyzing the linear manner a brochure communicates information and ideas to its reader. You will use Adobe InDesign in your execution of the brochure layout. Proficiency in Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop is a must.

Finally, you shall explore how to digitally publish your brochure online. As this is experimentation in progress, it shall be a learning process done during contact hours with your lecturer. The aim would be to successfully publish the brochure online.

Requirements
The size of the brochure will be A3 (folded) for considerations of economy you should consider bleeds. You may use any colour of your choice, full-colour if necessary, for the communication of the topic. You may be resourceful to acquire visuals from different sources but ensure that you credit these sources accordingly. The work is compiled chronologically in an A3 Folio and documented in the students’ e-portfolio.

Submission
  1. A3 brochure in colour/black and white with attention to an appropriate grid system.
  2. Clear text hierarchy that takes the reader through the brochure
  3. Research and design process filed chronologically, in an A3 folio.
  4. Design report on e-portfolio.
  5. Digital publication of brochure.

Objectives

  1. To develop students’ abilities to produce layout of a good standard: clarity of content, logically moving the reader through the content as it unfolds.
  2. To develop students ability to create a suitable grid system that gives them consistency with flexibility.
  3. To develop students understanding of the relationship between text and image.
  4. To develop students ability to manage a large body of information while prioritizing aesthetics and function.
  5. To develop students discovery of Adobe Creative Suite.



PROJECT 2

Week 7

The topic that I chose was about one province in east Indonesia which was East Nusa Tenggara. I have never been there but I really wanted to go there because it's a very beautiful island. During this week I did a research and focused on the content of my brochure. Before that, I did some research for the illustration that I wanted to use for my brochure. I planned to do a destination brochure and there would be an illustrated map, flora, fauna, and some articles about the place. Moreover, I had to figure out about the folding of my brochure because there were some parts that needed to be made upside down. So I did a little mock up folding on an A4-sized paper to make sure that the layout was in a correct order.

Week 8

After finalizing my text from Ms Sherry's feedback, I started to do the layout and did the illustration for my brochure. 

Fig 1.1 Illustrating Process
I also did my first draft of the brochure and printed it out to see the dimension of it. However, the printer did not print the brochure correctly so there were some white edges all over the paper and it made me hard to make a right folding.

Fig 1.2 First Draft of the inside part of the brochure

Fig 1.3 First Draft of the outside part of the brochure
Week 9
After received feedback from Ms Sherry, I did some changes and add something to fill up my brochure. I also decreased my text just to give more space and checked out the hyphenates. After tried to make a mockup of my brochure, I realized that there were parts that needed to be fixed and also I change some of the colours so it would pop out better.

Week 10 : Final Design and Mockup


Fig 2.1 Final Design (1)

Fig 2.1 Final Design (2)


Fig 2.2 Mock-Up (1)

Fig 2.3 Mock-Up (2)

Fig 2.4 Mock-Up (3)



FEEDBACK

Week 7
Interesting chosen topic. Needed to be careful of the text because some of the content was a bit difficult to understand and inconsistent.

Week 8
Nice concept and intersting topic to read about. Try to put colour on the text under the map, Ms Sherry told me that it was dull and boring compare to the other side of the brochure. It's good that I tried to print out the mock up of the brochure and made a correction to change told Ms Sherry. Maintain the layout, check the spelling and correct the hyphanate.

Week 9
I showed my final mockup with the chosen paper that I wanted to use. Ms Sherry said that I did a pretty good job on this project and the chosen paper which was maple (100 gr) suits the brochure really well. 





REFLECTION


Experience
It was very fun and interesting working on a project that you like. Although it was hard at first to choose which concept should I go with in terms of the layout and visuals, I decided to go with illustration type of brochure. I planned to make a map of the chosen place which was East Nusa Tenggara and mark the tourist sites. I also did a little illustration of the flora and fauna in this province. However, the hardest part of this project was printing and folding. I had to make sure the layout, margins, gutter, and so on to maintain the consistency of the design. Moreover, the folding must be perfectly folded and I can't be done more than one time or you'd get an ugly mark in your brochure.

Observation
Making a mockup or printing our design is very helpful in terms of seeing the layout and the formating text. Also, I would help to see the overall outcome of the brochure. 

Findings

Publishing is about making sure the good quality of the outcome of a particular design, in this case is a brochure. It's not that easy to design a brochure, the content and the visual aspect must be presented sustainably well. Moreover, we need to do an observation and research on the topic of the brochure or any type of design platform so that while designing we could manage the layout well. Knowing which type of folding and paper that we're going to use it very crucial while talking about publishing. Chosing the right type of folding and paper could produce a great outcome.



Comments

Popular Posts