WEEK 5 - WEEK 8 PROJECT ONE ; BOOK DESIGN

4/10/2017-18/10/2017  Week 6 - Week 8
Ashila Putri Sandi [0332938]
Typography and Hypertextuality
Project 1 A Story Book


Briefing and Lecture 1 (Week 5- 27/09/2017)

It was our 5th week and we were going to start our first project after doing exercises. Before starting the project, Mr. Vinod explained us more about the history of typography back then. The history begins from the Phoenician to Roman. Writing was all about sketching on wet clay with a stick or carving into a stone with a chisel back then. The techniques evolved using new tools and materials that we use now. There were only uppercase letterforms 2000 years ago. Also, the greek invented a way to write; the Boustrophedon—the lines of the text read from right to left then left to right.

Fig 1. Phoenician Alphabet accessed from http://www.medinaproject-epigraphy.eu/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/phoenician-alphabet.jpg 
Fig 2. Boustrophedon Alphabet accessed from http://www.ancientscripts.com/images/greek_boustrophedon.png

The transition from uppercase to hand scripts begun considering how writing in uppercase is very slow. This is why back then, creating a book took a long time which made it very expensive and only rich people can buy a book and earn knowledge. The uncial type was also changed into cursive. 

Then we were supposed to make our first project which was the storybook tittled, Mr. Babadook. The storybook should be made in Adobe InDesign, at least 16 pages and the size should be 205mm x 205mm. We were told that while typing our words, the leading line should be 3pt bigger from the size of the word. For instance, if the size is 12pt, then the leading line should be 15pt. We were also expected to scale everything with guidelines and rulers so the result would be organized, have a good contrast, also clean and neat. Moreover, we could only use limited typesets which were used for the last exercises. So, I chose Futura Std because it looked a lot intense when using san serif typeset and it was kind of match with the story which was spooky.

Lecture 2 (Week 7- 11/10/2017) 

On the 7th week we had a lecture discussing about understanding letterform. Mr. Vinod said that the more detailed oriented we are the more we can understand and improve as a designer. Almost every font is not symmetrical. Even serif is not symmetrical. The right stroke and left stroke are not the same. The uppercase letters might appear symmetrical but the examination shows that the left stroke is thinner than the right stroke. In sans serif font, even though both have the same letter, any small changes could effect the typeface characteristic. Either the curve, boldness, or anything can change the look for a typeface even though it is actually look the same from naked eyes . For example if you overlay an "a" letter of Helvetica with the Arial "a",  it will show differences between both of them.

Moreover we also need to know how to maintain the x-height (the height in lowercase of any typeface) because all words much be in the x-height but the tail, head, and curve might get off from the middle part. It is also important to recognize specific letterforms by developing a sensitivity to the counterform which is the space describe. When the letters are joined to form words, the counterform includes the spaces between them. The letter is particularly and important concept when working with the letterforms like lowercase ‘r’ that have no counters.


Based on the format devised by Rudi Ruegg, contrast is the most powerful dynamic in design. The basic principles of Graphic Design apply directly to typography. Mr. Vinod mentioned about Phil Baines who created interesting font. The words can be read even in the most unique form and this is how well he could handle the words. 

Fig 3. Typography by Phil Baines

Instructions (Based on the module)

Project 1 (20%)


The Brief 
A Story Book. 

Duration of Assignment 
3 Weeks (Briefing on Week 5) 

DEADLINE 
Week 8 

Description 
Text:

Title: Mister Babadook 
If it's in a word or in a look
you can't get rid of the Babadook. 
If you're a really clever one
and you know what it is to see
then you can make friends with a special one, a friend of you and me. 
His name is Mr Babadook and this is his book. 
A rumbling sound then 3 sharp knocks
ba Ba-ba DOOK! DOOK! DOOK! That's when you'll know he's around.
You'll see him if you look.
See him in your room at night and you won't sleep a wink. Let me in! *whisper
I'll soon take off my funny disguise
Take heed of what you've read...*whisper* and once you see what's underneath... 
YOU'RE GOING TO WISH YOU WERE DEAD. 
I'll WAGER with YOU, I'll MAKE you a BET. The MORE you DENY the STRONGER I GET LET ME IN!

In this project, you will be asked to express typographically the content above in a 16-page booklet. No images are allowed. However, some very minor graphical elements, i.e. line, shade... might be allowed. 
Utilising the knowledge gained in the exercises and other modules from the same semester, you will use Adobe InDesign to typographically compose and express the text within a given size. And, upon completion, you will create a digital ebook utilizing the navigation and animation settings to enhance the expressions of your composed text. 

Requirements 
The student must document the above progression in their eportfolio and A4 hardcopy portfolio. The results of the phases must be collated and presented. A thumbnail printout of all 16 pages and an ebook for desktop viewing must be produced. 

Submission 
  1. All gathered information (failures, successes, epiphanies, sketches, visual research, printouts, websites, images, charts, etc.) documented logically and chronologically in the A4 Clear Sheet folder. The works must be labeled and dated. 
  2. All gathered information (failures, successes, epiphanies, sketches, visual research, printouts, websites, images, charts, etc.) documented logically and chronologically in the eportfolio for the duration of the project in one post. 
  3. Generated eBook uploaded to the eportfolio and the relevant printouts of the artwork in the determined formats, in the hardcopy portfolio. 
Objectives 
  1. An appreciation of the skills sets and mental discipline required in Typography 
  2. To develop necessary skills and sensibilities for effective typographic communication. 
  3. To introduce the use of Grids, layouts and page flow. 
Project 


Project 1 (Week 5- Week 8) - A Story Book

Requirements:
- Sketches
- Adobe In Design
- Font Book (Mac)
- Name, Student ID, Date


Work 
Process 



Week 5 
On this week I was starting on making the cover and the first four pages.





         


Week 6
On this week I came up with my first attempt at making the storybook, then I showed it to Mr. Vinod and Mr. Shamsul for feedback.




Week 7
After I got my feedback, I did some changes to my work. Then, I showed Mr. Vinod and Mr. Shamsul for more feedback.





I kept modifying and did some changes to my work. But I had to leave early because I was going on a school trip that day. So I did my work and this is the final piece,


Final Outcome


Fig 4.1 Cover Page

Fig 4.2 Page 1-2


Fig 4.3  Page 3-4
Fig 4.4 Page 5-6


Fig 4.5 Page 7-8


Fig 4.6 Page 9-10


Fig 4.7 Page 11-12


Fig 4.8 Page 13-14


Fig 4.9 Last Page





Final Outcome Animation




Google Drive Link 
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bxt0r4RdlxrvS3BwZTR1Yk12d1k

Hardcopy of The Book

Fig 5.1 The Cover


Fig 5.2 The Content

Fig 5.3 The Content (2)

Fig 5.4 The Last Page




FEEDBACK

Week 6
This week Mr. Vinod and Mr. Shamsul started the class by checking our last week assignment which was “Mister Babadook” book in InDesign. My feedback was, I have to change the size of the name of the typeset and my name from 12pt to 7pt, and Mr. Vinod also informed that to the class. Then, Mr. Vinod told me to refine my 3rd and 4th page, especially for the alignment. When they were looking at my 5th they said they liked it but just need a little change in the spacing on the word “knock” and “ba”. Mr. Vinod also said that he got the emotion on my 12th page and he liked it. However, I need to give more attention on the asymmetrical alignment on my work also re-work on the last page of the book. After showing my work to Mr. Shamsul for the second feedback first, he helped me to get my guidelines back because it's gone accidentally. Then, he told me to make some changes with the help of the guidelines so the alignment would look better, and also change some of the sentences to bold so it could change the meaning when you read it. 

Week 7


For today’s class, I had several feedbacks. First, Mr. Vinod and Mr. Shamsul check my storybook after I did some changes. Then, they told me to rework some of the pages, make it more interesting and I had to make each page more related. Then, after I did my work after the feedback Mr. Vinod saw my work and told me that my work had a little change and I still need to work on the 4th - 9th page. While working, Mr. Shamsul gave us a tutorial how to add animation into our storybook. But, before doing the animation we had to make sure our work is finalized and approved by Mr. Vinod. However, I needed to leave early because I joined the activity week. So I still have some work to do during the break.



REFLECTION

Experience
These past 3 weeks was quite intense, we were forced to work fast and come up with creative thinking for the storybook layout. At first, I was quite frustrated because I couldn't find the connection/correlation between each page. I've learned from the previous exercise that I had to keep my head think positively and just keep trying to find new ideas and inspirations also work harder.

Observation
While I was making this project I thought my work was ok, but ok is not enough. I had to push myself harder to keep up with others. Also, in this project I wasn't paying much attention to the lecturer, so I got a little bit confused to operate Adobe InDesign. Turns out, kerning and alignment is very important so I had to make sure I set up my guidelines to make my work set neatly. Moreover, I observed that I should be more consistent while doing my work. Well, most of my concept was too simple and I should've come up with a better idea.

Findings
I found that everything that we make especially when it comes to design, must have a meaning behind it. Although I thought that my work looked good, I wasn't sure the meaning of the design and the layout. Thus, we couldn't call it a good work/artwork if it didn't have any meaning. Also, I found that good layouts and proportion are very important.





BOOK OF THE WEEK

Grids (n. a structure or pattern of lines used to guide the placement of the elements of a design) by Gavin Ambrose and Paul Harris.

This book tells about the usability if grids. Not only that but it informs about grid basics, types, elements, usage, and grids on the web. I read some part of it which is related to the first project.

The part that I found useful for the project is the 'Grid Types' section.

Grid Types 
The grid is the common structural element behind every job that brings a sense of order, consistency and efficiency to the design process. Various grids serve different purposes. In this case, some grids are more adept at handling images or a variety of complex information, while others are better with large bodies of text.

1. Symmetrical
Used on publication spreads has the recto and verso pages mirroring each other.

2. Asymmetrical 
Provides a spread in which both pages use the same layout, normally with a bias to either the left or right side of the page.

3. Modules
Modules are discrete boxes or units within a grid system, used to contain and group certain text or image elements.

4. Compound Grids
The ideas and concepts behind the symmetrical grid, asymmetrical grid and modules can be combine through the use of a compound grid. A compound grid uses and brings together different grid elements to create a practical and versatile template that gives a designer a high degree of flexibility while maintaining the ability to produce consistent designs.

5. Combinations 
Compound grids allow modules and columns to work together. However, they are often only used in simple combinations.

6. The Horizontal 
Horizontal movement is created when a grid is used to lead the eye across the spread or age by placing design elements accordingly. Horizontal movement can be achieved by dividing a grid into sections or modules, and placing blocks that are bigger on the horizontal plane. 

7. The Vertical
Vertical movement is apparent when elements on a grid are used and combined to lead the eye up an down the page.

8. Diagonal and Angular Grids
These grids work on the same principles as the horizontal grids, but they are titled or inclined, allowing design elements to be presented in a more unusual and less orthodox way. However, this means that angular grids are more difficult to set. A grid can be set to any angle but for ease if composition, design efficiency and consistency, angled grids normally use a single or dual angle.





Comments

Popular Posts